Saturday, July 17, 2010

SOCMA Response

The folks at SOCMA did not take any time at all to come out with their response to the introduction of the new CFATS legislation by Sen. Lautenberg; it came out the same day. No one will be surprised that they are opposed to the IST mandate provisions included in the bill. While I have disagreed with SOCMA on occasion this response is a fair statement of their position and does propose a positive alternative to Lautenberg’s bill.

If this bill does actually start to move forward in the legislative process (unlikely in my opinion) I would hope that SOCMA and other chemical organizations would provide alternative suggestions for modifications of the bill to make it more acceptable to their interests. I fully understand their opposition to the IST provisions as written, but I am a firm believer in the process of politics and the art of compromise. I would hope that the industry would be part of that process.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */