Monday, September 10, 2012

More Problems at DHS OIP


Well, the problems at ISCD are not apparently the only ones that are occurring within the National Programs and Protection Directorate (NPPD) in DHS. This morning I was forwarded a copy of an email that was sent to the DHS IG, the OPM IG, and various managers in the Office of Infrastructure Protection. The email outlines specific hiring and promotion irregularities (and in my opinion, if true, illegalities) within the Infrastructure Information Collection Division (IICD) and the Infrastructure Security Compliance Division (ISCD).

The email outlines names of the beneficiaries and perpetrators of these actions. To avoid any possibility of slander complaints (since I cannot independently verify any of these claims) I will not go into any details, but there is enough here to keep a team of investigators busy for a while. The types of actions alleged include, creating positions for individuals, publicly pre-selecting individuals to newly vacated positions, blatantly ignoring veterans preferences in hiring and promotions, and an open romantic relationship between individuals in a senior-subordinate work situation.

I would encourage both Inspectors Generals (DHS and OPM) to publicly announce that they are initiating an investigation into these problems.

I was disappointed to see that no one in Congress was copied on this email, but Congress has such a good history of oversight over these programs that I really am not surprised. I will be happy to forward a copy of the email (cleansed of the link that forwarded it to me) to any congressional staffer or investigator from the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs or House Homeland Security Committee that contacts me. Hell, since there is a Subcommittee Hearing tomorrow where Under Secretary Rand Beers is appearing, I’ll even supply the information to someone from the House Energy and Commerce Committee if they ask for it.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */