Monday, December 4, 2023

Review - CSB Publishes Yenkin-Majestic Incident Report

Last week, the Chemical Safety Board (CSB) published their report on the “Yenkin-Majestic Resin Plant Vapor Cloud Explosion and Fire”. The incident occurred in March of 2021 and resulted in one fatality, and eight personnel transported to local hospitals for treatment as well as over $90 million in damages. Yesterday’s publication leaves just four incidents on the CSBreporting backlog [corrected 12-5-23, 9:05 EST].

The report identified three safety issues:

• Mechanical integrity of low-pressure vessels,

• Safeguard selection and the hierarchy of controls, and

• Emergency preparedness

The CSB published seven new recommendations for actions that would help prevent these types of accidents in the future. Those recommendations are:

2021-04-I-OH-1, Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corporation,

2021-04-I-OH-2, Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corporation,

2021-04-I-OH-3, Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corporation,

2021-04-I-OH-4, Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corporation,

2021-04-I-OH-5, Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corporation,

2021-04-I-OH-6, American Petroleum Institute (API), and

2021-04-I-OH-7, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)

 

For more details about the CSB’s report, see my article at CFSN Detailed Analysis - https://patrickcoyle.substack.com/p/csb-publishes-yenkin-majestic-incident - subscription required. 

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */