DHS published a Notice in Friday’s Federal Register about the beginning of the triennial review of the National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP). Public comments and suggestions for improvements to the NIPP are being solicited. Comments should be provided to DHS no later than July 7, 2008 (http://www.regulations.gov or email to Nipp@dhs.gov; include docket # DHS-2008-0054).
A number of issues have already been identified for inclusion in the review. The ones that have some sort of impact on chemical facilities include:
- Release of the chemical security regulation
- Publishing of the Sector-Specific Plans (SSPs) including the one for the Chemical Sector.
- Revision of the discussion of risk assessment methodologies
- Update on the Protected Critical Infrastructure Information (PCII) program
- Homeland Security Information Network (HSIN) update
- Further definition of the Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources (CIKR) Information-Sharing Environment (ISE)
- Critical Infrastructure Warning Information Network (CWIN)
- DHS organizational changes: National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD).
The current NIPP can be found at http://www.dhs.gov/nipp.
Over the coming weeks I’ll be looking at some of these programs.