Both the Senate and House will be in session this week. The big news is, of course, the President’s State of the Union Address to Congress on Tuesday evening, but there will be two hearings this week in the House that may be of specific interest to readers of this blog. Both deal with cybersecurity matters.
Government IT Systems
The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will hold a markup hearing on Tuesday. One of the bill currently on the list to be considered is an as of yet unintroduced bill entitled “the Federal Information Systems Safeguards Act of 2016”. There is no copy of the bill on the Committee web site.
There will be a joint hearing on Tuesday with the Information Technology Subcommittee of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and the Cybersecurity, Infrastructure Protection and Security Technologies Subcommittee of the House Homeland Security Committee. It will review “Wassenaar: Cybersecurity and Export Control”. The witness list includes:
• Kevin J. Wolf, Department of Commerce;
• Ann K. Ganzer, Department of State;
• Phyllis Schneck, Department of Homeland Security
• Cheri Flynn McGuire, Symantec
• Iain Mulholland, VMware, Inc.
• Cristin Flynn Goodwin, Microsoft Corporation
• Dean C. Garfield, Information Technology Industry Council