Today the Coast Guard published a meeting notice in the Federal Register (79 FR 14524-14525) for a meeting of the Chemical Transportation Advisory Committee. This three day meeting will start on April 8th and will be held in Houston, TX. Subcommittees will meet the first two days and the final day will be a full committee meeting.
There were some minor security issues raised at the last CTAC meeting, but there were no subcommittee taskings. There were chemical safety issues raised and taskings assigned. Subcommittee meetings may address:
• Carriage requirements for biofuels and biofuel blends;
• Safety standards for the design of vessels carrying natural gas or using natural gas as fuel; and
• Safety standards for portable facility vapor control systems.
The full committee meeting will include receiving subcommittee reports. The Coast Guard will also make presentations on:
• Update on International Maritime Organization as it relates to the marine transportation of hazardous materials;
• Update on U.S. regulations as it relates to the marine transportation of hazardous materials;
• Update on Bulk Chemical Data Guide (Blue Book); and
• Vessel to vessel transfer of hazardous materials in bulk.
The Coast Guard is soliciting public input on the issues to be discussed at the meeting. Written comments may be submitted via the Federal eRulemaking Portal (www.Regulations.gov; Docket # USCG-2014-0098) and should be submitted by April 3rd, 2014. There will be brief public comment periods at each meeting; advance registration is requested.