The Coast Guard published a meeting notice in Monday’s Federal Register (78 FR 67379-67381; available on-line Saturday) for the Chemical Transportation Advisory Committee. The three-day public meeting will start on December 10th, 2013 in Washington, DC. The first two days will be fore subcommittee and working group meetings.
The subcommittees will address the following topics:
• Harmonization of Response and Carriage Requirements for Biofuels and Biofuel Blends;
• Recommendations on Safety Standards for the Design of Vessels Carrying Natural Gas or Using Natural Gas as Fuel;
• Recommendations for Safety Standards of Portable Facility Vapor Control Systems Used for Marine Operations;
• Recommendations for Guidance on the Implementation of Revisions to MARPOL Annex II and the IBC Code to 46 CFR 153;
• Requirements for Third-Party Surveyors of MARPOL Annex II Prewash; and
• Improving Implementation and Education of MARPOL Discharge Requirements Under MARPOL Annex II and V.
Note: Many of the subcommittee topics are dealt with in more detail on the CG’s Homeport page. Normally I would provide links, but the Homeport page does not provide for real links to the pages contained within it. No one has been able to explain to my why the CG has their own special version of the internet that is so hard to use. Maybe it is a new form of security.
The CG will address the following topics with the full committee:
• Update on International Maritime Organization as it relates to the marine transportation of hazardous materials;
• Update on U.S. Regulations as it relates to the marine transportation of hazardous materials;
• Update on Bulk Chemical Data Guide (Blue Book); and
• Vessel to vessel transfer of hazardous materials in bulk.