The Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA) published an advisory notice in today’s Federal Register (78 FR 42889-42890) reminding certain liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) facilities that, while they were responsible for following ANSI/NFPA standards 58 or 59, they were also responsible for conforming to specific provisions of 49 CFR Part 192.
PHMSA regulations (§192.11) provide that LPG facilities supplying gas to distribution pipelines must comply with both the ANSI/NFPA standards and the §192 requirements. Where they conflict the ANSI/NFPA standards prevail (§192.11(c)}. This notice serves to remind owners and operators that there is no ANSI/NFPA reference to the topics in the Part 192 sections listed below, so those requirements must be appropriately addressed.
• Backfill requirements for installing pipe in a ditch (§192.319).
• Underground pipe clearance requirements (§192.325).Show citation box
• Continuing surveillance (§192.613).
• Public awareness (except for small LP-gas systems) (§192.614).
• Operator qualification (except for small utility LP-Gas systems) (Subpart N).
• Distribution Pipeline Integrity Management (Subpart P).
PHMSA continues to consider making changes to the primacy provisions of §192.11.