Friday, March 18, 2011

Reader Comment – TWIC CG Rule

Thanks to John C.W. Bennett for keeping me on track with TWIC issues. He caught me out in a rookie error in today’s blog about HR 1105. He reminded me that; “Actually the TWIC Reader rule will be a Coast Guard rulemaking--they released the ANPRM a while back. TSA is only running the Pilot Study.”

TWIC is a strange program with shared responsibilities between TSA and the Coast Guard. Since the TWIC is part of the MTSA program it is administered by the Coast Guard and they write the regulations regarding how the TWIC is used. As Mr. Bennett reminded me, this includes the writing of the pending TWIC Reader rule.

The TSA, on the other hand deals with many of the technical details of making the darn things work. This includes conducting the TWIC Reader evaluation.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep that straight in the future.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */