Wednesday, September 30, 2009

QHSR Outcome 2.2.2

Last night I made my second posting to the QHSR Dialogue about the proposed outcomes for Counterterrorism Objective 2.2. This time I looked at the self-regulation of the potential transfer of dangerous chemicals to terrorists or other malicious actors. Earlier Idea When I posted this second idea, I checked the first idea that I posted yesterday. There were eight responses and four people had rated my idea. I’m not sure that I understand some of the responses that were posted, but I am glad to see that people are taking the time to read and respond. The one interesting comment was from a person that wanted to know what types of readily available chemicals could be used to make toxic or explosive weapons. The commentor noted that only with such a list could an evaluation be made of whether strictly controlling those chemicals would be too intrusive. Any such list would reflect the experience and deviance of the provider. I would include household bleach and ammonia cleaners. Nitrogen trichloride is probably too unstable to be listed as a usable explosive by even terrorists, but as a binary explosive it has interesting capabilities, including the production of a toxic cloud. In any case, join the discussion at Counterterrorism on the QHSR Dialogue.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */